Labels

Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Final Pitch

I’ve written nearly 100 sports columns for the Loyolan and it pains me that this has to be my last. I could never put into words how much my experience working for the Loyolan sports section has influenced my life.

I’ve written a lot of words, and spent a lot of time, encouraging people over the last few years to increase their support of the numerous LMU Athletics teams. Thanks in large part to this year’s men’s basketball team, the excitement across the student body when it comes to the Lions has easily doubled throughout my time here at LMU. I would love nothing more than to see that continue. School spirit, especially through collegiate athletics, is a vital aspect of college experiences.

When I was a freshman, the most popular phrase spoken about LMU Athletics had to do with the lack of a football team on campus. While I’ll be the first to agree that it would be great to be able to go to Lions football games every fall, the fact that the most common phrase uttered about the department concerned its lacking something showed a great weakness.

Four years later, I am thrilled to say that is no longer the case. When over 1,000 students rushed the court after the men’s basketball team defeated Gonzaga earlier this semester, it capped a four-year drought of any true school spirit. Furthermore, this change in attitude doesn’t feel temporary.

However, there is still a long way to go. I always said that it would take a winning record from the men’s basketball team to get people excited enough to go to games, but now that we have that, it is time for that excitement and energy that fills Gersten Pavilion during men’s basketball games to carry over to the Burns Rec Center during water polo games, Sullivan field during soccer games, etc. Tailgating and cheering isn’t just fun because it’s basketball; we have other wildly successful teams here on the bluff, and if enough students commit to wanting to have a exciting sports atmosphere beyond basketball season it would add a tremendous amount to student life at LMU.

When I took over the Loyolan Sports Section almost three years ago, I did so because I wanted to pursue a career in sports journalism and I thought this job would be a step in that direction. I felt no strong connection to the Lions and could have barely told you five details about the life of Hank Gathers. I am so grateful that, mainly through my experiences working as sports editor, I will now graduate next Saturday as a lifelong knowledgeable Lions fan. I want to thank both the Loyolan and the Athletics Department for making my experience a positive one. Because I loved my job as sports editor, I was able to put more blood, sweat and tears into the Loyolan than I have anything else in my life.

This would not have been done, however, without help and support. I want to personally thank Athletics Director Dr. William Husak, men’s basketball Head Coach Max Good and the entire men’s basketball coaching staff and team for helping me do my job better. Often times administration and media clash, but Husak went out of his way to be supportive of the work I have done with the Loyolan, and for that I am extremely grateful.

Good has also been supportive of the Loyolan sports section, but furthermore he has an attitude that I feel more people around campus should adopt. Good has always been open and honest with me about the state of the men’s basketball team. Because of his openness and willingness to talk about any issues that arose, I was able to do a more complete job as the men’s basketball beat writer. Good often told me that he appreciated and respected when I wrote somewhat negative things about the Lions, or wrote about my frustration with them, because for the most part they were deserved. He didn’t just want positive coverage of his team; he wanted honest coverage. I encourage other people at LMU to think about that when it comes to the Loyolan, or their criticism of it.

I also wanted to give a shout out to everyone over at lmulions.proboards.com. If you care about LMU Athletics, and especially the men’s basketball team, that message board is the place to be. People there know their stuff, and it is a great place for Lions fans to discuss anything about LMU Athletics. They are, however, looking for more student activity.

Max’s Maniacs, keep doing what you do. The excitement and rituals you helped create this year need to be continued.

Congratulations to all the graduating student-athletes. I admire what you do. Hopefully I will see you all, as well as the rest of the seniors, next year in the Young Alums section of Gersten.

And lastly, Go Lions.

No comments:

Post a Comment