Labels

Monday, December 27, 2010

Observations after rewatching the Florida State game

Drew Viney, pictured here sporting a new navy away jersey, has yet to find his long-range jumper this season. | Photo courtesy of Facebook
I sat down and re-watched the LMU vs. Florida State game today, thanks to ESPNU and my tivo, and had a few observations I wanted to share:

  • The announcers must have said at least five times that there "needed to be more movement within the LMU offense." I can't say it better myself. There are too many times when players without the ball are stationary, and the LMU offense is relying too heavily on making isolation plays.
  • Anthony Ireland needs to take the open three when its there. 
  • As I stated in my column earlier today, we NEED to have better defensive adjustments mid-game. In the Florida State game Drew Viney was being beat up inside by Singleton, one of the Florida State big man. It wasn't Viney's fault, Singleton is a bigger, stronger body, but instead of making an adjustment and double-teaming, LMU left it alone and got punished inside  
  • Florida State scored in nearly every possession after a timeout. We struggle to do that every game.
  • Announcer said down the stretch, "I want to see LMU get Viney a touch this possesion." It didn't happen. I don't know how many times I've uttered that phrase, and didn't get my wish.
  • They replayed highlights from last year's win over Gonzaga. The best sports moment I've ever been present for. However, I do have to say that watching clips from last year it is apparent that Drew Viney's outside shot is not where it was last year. He's still our biggest offensive threat, but I don't know what changed; he's not shooting the three in the rhythm he was last season and it can't be denied that it's hurting us.* Last year he shot 43 percent from beyond the arc, this year that number is down to 26. Let's hope he finds his groove for WCC play, because having that inside/outside game makes him so much more of a weapon.
*Drew Viney, despite his shooting struggles, is still leading the Lions in scoring and is invaluable to the team. His shot may have been affected by his shin injury, but regardless you can't argue with the fact that his three just isn't there consistently right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment