Labels

Friday, June 17, 2011

Former Lion joins Jayhawks

Former Lion Kevin Young, who had been rumored to be heading to San Diego State next season, is now planning on joining the Kansas University Jayhawks, as revealed by numerous reports today. Young went to community college last year after playing two seasons for the Lions, in which he averaged about 10 points and six rebounds per game.

“This is a great opportunity for me and I’m looking forward to playing at Kansas,” Young said to kusports.com. “They take a lot of pride in basketball and academics here and I’m ready for that challenge. I’m looking forward to working with my teammates and coaches and becoming a Jayhawk.”

Young was a fan favorite at LMU, and his departure came as a surprise to many (read what I thought about it at the time, here).

“I thought we definitely needed a playmaker and we were able, at a late date, to fall into Kevin and we couldn’t be happier,” KU coach Bill Self said in the team's press release. “He’s 6-8, thin and can play multiple positions. He reminds me a lot of Julian Wright — very bouncy, very athletic. He will most definitely be an impact player for us next season.”

While at LMU, Young broke the school record for rebounds, steals and blocks by a freshman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment